The Seven C's of Cardio Kickboxing at Thrive

February 17, 2014

Category:  Cardio
Target Zone:  Total Body
Location:  Rittenhouse
Intensity:
Cardio:
Tighten & Tone:
Total: 



Cardio. Let me start by saying Cardio Kickboxing at Thrive Pilates is awesome and I cannot wait to go back again! I love any workout that lets me punch things—it’s the best therapy (for your brain and bod). This class is a high impact workout that mixes fun and challenging interval exercises with tightening and toning. I was shocked by how hard it actually was though! I brought a bottle of water with me to class, set it down on the floor, and didn’t touch it again until the class was over. We were moving fast through the drills, and there was only one break, with encouraged individual breaks throughout class. Normally, this would make me crazy, but my adrenaline was pumping so hard I barely even thought about stopping for a rest (although I was pretty glad to stop kicking when the class ended). 
Core. The last ten minutes of the class has 3-4 intense exercises that fire up the core…YES! You need to partner up with someone you don’t know—brings you back to middle school days when the teacher made you team up with someone you weren’t friends with, but a little less severe because we’re all “adults” now. Love ending a heart-pumping class with a little core! 



 Connection. The instructor, Gina, makes a point to connect with everyone in the class and will spend the first few minutes going through names and trying to make a relationship with every single person. You’re stuck in the back and don’t feel like you will get the same attention as the front row? Not the case. Gina actually remembers names (don’t know how she does it) and will motivate each person out throughout class. 
Crowded. This class is packed! No personal space combined with high kicks and punches seemed like a recipe for disaster. My sidekick was inches away from hitting the CD player, which would have been beyond awks, but everyone in the class is pretty conscious of space. You may feel claustrophobic at times, but this class is definitely worth it! 
Counting. There’s A LOT of counting, but don’t worry you only need to be able to count down from 8. First thing Gina says is “I know you think counting makes you uncool, but I already think you’re uncool so everyone has to count!” I’ll admit I’m definitely not a counter during class, but I was into it and counting loudly. Everyone does it and it actually helps with the flow of class! 


 Correcting. Yes the class get’s very packed, but that doesn’t mean you won’t get the attention you deserve. Gina takes the time to correct everyone’s form throughout class and makes sure everyone stays on the same page. The one personal correction I got from her, to raise my hands higher in front of my face, immensely helped because it improved my balance and focus for the rest of class. 
Cool. No, not in temperature (it get’s pretty sweaty in there). The instructor is really cool. Her music, enthusiasm, and expertise kept the class motivated and excited for the entire hour. No wonder she has a cult following of people that love her class.

post signature

1 comments: