Teacher Review: Anne Marie from Unite Fitness

February 10, 2014

Category:  Cardio, Strength
Target Zone:  Total Body
Location:  Midtown Village
Intensity:
Cardio:
Tighten & Tone:
Total: 

On the teacher.
I love her.  This was my first class with Anne Marie at Unite Fitness and I cannot wait for the next. Super friendly and personable, I immediately liked her. Then within the first minute of class she was talking about the Grammy's and Justin Beiber... Liked her even more. Fast forward to the end of class, when I was drenched in sweat after 30 minutes of totally killer cardio, and 30 minutes of circuit training and I was in love. 
Personable. It's pretty simple... When teachers remember your name, you feel special. And when you feel special, you want to work harder because you don't want to disappoint your teacher. Right? Well Anne Marie remembers everyones name, and if she doesn't, she'll make sure to come up and ask you to remind her. Its a super effective strategy because throughout the whole class she will be using everyones first name to encourage and motivate. 
Challenging. So I will admit that I generally shy away from using heavier dumbbells in classes, having been forever scarred by my college lifting experience for lacrosse (can you say, freshman 30... of muscle?!). Building muscle, toning and sculpting is good. Getting bulked up is not on my agenda. Well Anne Marie was totally onto me. After about 30 seconds of the circuit training she came over and dropped off some heavier weights “just in case” I wanted to up my game. —I tried them and she was totally right. I loved that she took the initiative and wasn't afraid to give me the extra push I needed. Not only did I switch to the heavier weights, but knowing that she was watching that closely made me work that much harder for the rest of class to make her proud! 

twitter.com
On the class.
Express Cross Training. Her 6 am Cross-Training Express class is a great way to kick off the week. It’s a half hour of insane cardio and a half hour of challenging strength training to get you in, out and on your way.
Innovative. During the cardio segment, we did a 3-minute steep incline walk for three minutes with our hands straight over our head. First thing I thought was.. Ok great, a little active rest. Well that was definitely not the case. Those 3-minutes were harder than my 100% sprint, and totally different than anything I would ever think to do myself. My heart was pounding out of my chest and my muscles had no clue what was going on-- which doesn't happen too often! 
Music. Great music for both segments of the class, mixing current music with a few remixes. She puts on whatever she feels like, but also plays to the crowd. At one point, she said how about we listen to some Selena Gomez? Someone in the crowd jokingly screamed out ‘Why???’ Clearly he wasn’t on board, so she was flexible and moved on from the teeny bop pop music genre to something else. 

All in All
I cannot say enough good things about Anne Marie-- she’s upbeat, encouraging, and teaches a killer class. I just wish she taught on Saturdays! However,  I will definitely be making an extra effort to get to her classes during the week. 

post signature

0 comments:

Post a Comment