Brazen Boxing: Don't Let the Smell Scare You

January 16, 2014

Category:  Boxing
Target Zone:  Arms, Core
Location:  Olde City
Intensity:
Cardio:
Tighten & Tone:
Total: 

I’d been wanting to try this studio forever, so I finally grabbed the old boxing gloves and made the push to Olde City and Brazen Boxing. I’ve boxed 1 on 1 with a personal trainer in the past, but never in a group setting, so I was excited to see what this was all about. I went to the Women’s Boxing class with Jess and it ended up being a tad on the instructional side.

On the studio? 
Where is this place? 45 North 3rd Street, 3rd floor (above Sweat Gym). If you feel like you’re walking into a side entrance of the Olde City Sweat location, you’re in the right place. Walk up the narrow staircase and Brazen Boxing is located on the third floor.

First impressions? My first thought -- this place smells awful. I mean like really bad. It takes a few minutes to adjust, but you’ll soon realize that it’s just because this place will make you sweat-- I can get over the smell knowing that I’m definitely going to get a good workout.

Don’t let the boys scare you. The first time I walked in, two guys were going at each other in the ring. Eakkkk do I have to get in there? NO. The Women’s Boxing Class is completely different, focusing more on form and fundamentals, rather than kicking each other in the face.

On the class? 
Warm-up. Class starts with dynamic stretching and individual air punching. I feel like this is where Jess watches and assess where you’re at with your form and body awareness.

Put your hands up. Lots of skill building exercises, learning the right way to throw a punch, how to avoid a punch, how to cover your face, how to position your legs, etc. It’s important to learn these fundamentals, so when you get to the “real stuff,” you do it right.

Cardio hit. Just when I was thinking I should’ve run before class, the last twenty minutes crushed me. We did three minute segments of bag boxing, four times, with suicides in between. My heart jumped out of my chest and made me regret why I was ever complaining about the class being “easy.” 

Stretching. We finished the class with a group stretch to elongate the tightened muscles. Two thoughts: Why won’t my arms stop shaking? and I can’t wait for the next class.

brazenboxing.com
On the teacher? 
Funny. I want to be best friends with Jess. She’s not only badass, but she is hilarious, making jokes the entire time. Trademark of a great class!

Form. Jess doesn’t joke around about form. She takes the time to explain every detail of each move-- sometimes seems like a little much-- but she won’t let you do anything unless it’s done right. 

Knowledgeable. She knows what she’s talking about and there is a purpose for each move—air punching, 1 on 1 drills, recoveries, bag punching, sprinting, etc. There is rhyme and reason for every exercise and Jess is excellent at explaining the WHY throughout class.

Overall 
While I loved the technicality of the exercises we did (and understand why we did them), I did need a bit more of the heart racing intensity to make the whole hour worth the while. Maybe a few more intervals throughout class before coming back to boxing drills, letting our heart rates shoot up and come back down would help me leave the class feeling a little more fulfilled. I’ll definitely go again, but glad to know the breakdown of the class.

post signature

1 comments:

  1. It’s great that you had a fantastic experience at the boxing gym. Well, the atmosphere can be a little intimidating and daunting at first, especially when it’s your first time to attend the class. But it gets easier to adjust once the lessons have started. After all, it’s still the course of the workout that matters the most, yes? Cheers!

    Barbara Cales @ Legend Boxing

    ReplyDelete